Sunday, October 31, 2010

Friend and Family Visitors!

Earlier last month my friend Destiny from MN came out to celebrate her 30th birthday!We felt so special that she would want to spend it with us, and had a great time showing her around. The first day she arrived we went to check out Red Rocks Amphitheater. This is one place I've always wanted to see, but have never been. I definitely plan to check out a concert here next summer.


Before going out for Destiny's birthday we took her to a couple of haunted houses with a bunch of our friends. I don't think I've been to a haunted house in over 10 years, and the first one we went to reminded me why. I was pretty scared! The second one was in the set of an old mine shaft and seemed pretty cool. However, I think they spent too much money on props, because there wasn't really any actors inside to scare us! I HATE haunted houses, but I was actually bored through this one.

Here's Destiny and Kiana at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs!

You can't come visit us without taking a trip to Bishops Castle! He has really done a lot since I was last there a year or so ago.




They even have a gift shop open now. Kiana got to be the princess of the castle for the day.


After Destiny left, Kiana got a visit from her Grandma and Grandpa Johnson from Missouri for a few days. One of the days they were here we decided to see if we could drive up to the top of Pikes Peak. Typically you can only drive to the top a few months during the summer. Most of the time it's just too windy. We'll that day seemed pretty nice, so we thought we would give it a try. Sure enough they opened it all the way to the top for the first time in over a week. I've only ever been to treeline, so being able to go to the summit seemed like a treat. I knew it would be colder at the top, but it was unreal how fast it got so cold and windy. It was a three hour drive round trip to the top and back down again, and I bet we only spent 5 minutes max at the top. The weather went from being 60 degrees in Colorado Springs to 11 degrees with 40 mph wind gusts at the summit. It was FREEZING!!! I felt like I was back in MN, in the middle of January, and standing in a blizzard. Except as you can see below, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky!

Check out the viewer to the left! I don't think that will be working again for awhile. Kiana didn't cry at all, I think she was in shock as to what was going on. She's never been in weather that cold before, and especially with the freezing wind she just wanted to snuggle into me!



The view from the top was pretty spectacular. As you can see below the top flattened out in some parts, and was covered in huge boulders. That seemed so bazaar to me. Typically when you see boulders at the bottom of the mountain it's because they broke off and fell down. These though are at the top, so where did they come from?




Thought this was a pretty view on the way back down!

There's a reservoir halfway down the mountain. Now that we were mostly out of the cold we thought this would be a good place to take some better pictures.







Kiana got to even open some early Christmas presents! Her favorite one was definitely the piggy bank!

Just enjoying the nice weather and spending the rest of the day at the park!
Thanks everyone for coming out to visit! We love having you here!

No comments: